In the World of Crowbonehuyana.........

ういつすー!
art. photography. inspiration. handmade crafting.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"Nahenahe" .....

Found out what my Hawaiian name is at the Dole Plantation "Halemano Plantation" off the Kamehameha Hwy in Oahu. "Nahenahe" means Rae/Rachel - deeper meaning behind it means: Sweet and Soft.

Upon staying at Scott's place the next few nights, he made a super good breakfast, in return for his hospitality, we cook him a yummy dinner and drank lots of wine over good conversation between all of us were exchanged. Then we watched a movie taking place in Barcelona. It was a good movie! The next following morning, we wake up super early and Scott made us some bomb @ss Chai Tea Latte and drove us to the bus stop to get to the airport. We then were headed to our BIGGEST ADVENTURE ever, Kauai.



We get picked up by Rebecca and Mikey at Lihue airport, Kauai. Then we went to buy camping permits at the Kauai agriculture center, so we could camp at the Kalalau trail. Then we check into a hostel and get the best private room overlooking the beach as our backyard. Then we eat chilli dogs and finish running errands for the Kalalau Trail. End up getting up before the sunrise the following morning, to head to the trail. The sunrise was so breath taking and rejuvenating.




We start the Kalalau Trail tuesday morning. For those who never heard about the Kalalau Trail, on a scale of 1-10. 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest. It was rated 9, as top hardest and dramatic trails in the world.

The Kalalau Trail provides the only land access to The Na Pali Coast. It is an 11 mile hike. The pali, or cliffs, provide a rugged grandeur of deep, narrow valleys ending abruptly at the sea. Waterfalls and swift flowing streams continue to cut these narrow valleys while the sea carves cliffs at their mouths. Extensive stone walled terraces can still be found on the valley bottoms where Hawaiians once lived and cultivated taro.

It was the hardest and real first hike I've ever done in my life. We didn't do the whole 11 mile hike because we didn't have enough food and water to last us another day on the trail. We made it to 6 miles. I almost couldn't make it, but kept pushing myself, thinking of what I'll do after I'm done with the hike. I kept thinking, "I got this. I can do this. I want to see all my family and friends. And most of all, I wanted a chili dog at the very end to reward myself......so good....mmmmmm....



We make it to the 2 mile mark from Ke'e Beach to Hanakapi'ai. We couldn't swim on this beach because the waves were treacherous and is prone to killing you. But it was beautiful.






Then we make it from Hanakapi'ai to Hanakoa (4 mile mark), then less 6 mile mark, and decide to camp out wherever, because it was getting dark, and we didn't want to be hiking on cliffs at night. Our morning viewpoint was magnificent.





Met awesome people: goat hunters and a fairy girl throughout our journey. Kalalau Trail was the hardest trail ever but I'm happy I did it. It was well worth it. It was amazingly breath taking. At the end of the trail, Mikey met us at the bottom of the trail. I then convince everyone to eat chili dogs with me. And then I took a long, hot shower at the hostel and had a grand seafood dinner after wards.

The next day we went to Poipu Beach, ate at Imu Hut Cafe, and snuck into a cabin at Waimea Canyon and met up w/ Patricia & Sue, stayed there that night and took a wonderful shower in the morning. Check out Waimea Canyon and Wailua Falls before heading to the airport, on our next journey to the big island, hilo airport.









No comments: